Monday, July 6, 2009

Just Tri It

On the 2nd Saturday of June I competed in the Subaru Women's Sprint Triathlon in Naperville. I did the race last year and really enjoyed it (weird, I know) so I decided to do it again. So after 9 weeks of training I got up very early (before 5 am) and headed to pick up Nancy and head to Naperville. The weather was great - not too hot and no rain. The water temp was barely 70 so I rented a wetsuit - which made it very bearable.
Pat and the girls arrived right before I started - great inspiration to have them there to support me. So, not sure why, I lined up in the front of my wave for the swim start. I started out way too fast but my competitive juices were flowing and I didn't want to go slower than last year. By the first buoy I had gotten into a good pace and had a good swim. When I got out I was able to see Pat, Reagan & Nola while I ran to the transition area.
After finding my bike (took a moment) I got out of the wetsuit (was glad it came off ok) and headed out on my bike (which is my 10-speed from 8th grade graduation). I had trained many, many hours on the bike and wanted to make sure I improved on my time. The ride was good - just some tough wind when turning the corner to head back in. Nothing too eventful besides avoiding the landscaping truck that somehow got on the race course.
Back into transition and off to run. I was pretty nervous about the run after re-injuring my hip a week and a half before the race, but it held up fine. A little sore when I started, but soon I was in a rhythm and out on the course. It is great to have so many people along the course cheering for everyone - not just who they know. I had good run and strong finish - so I was thrilled.
My mom and dad had arrived while I was racing so they were also at the finish line. It was fun to see my friends, who also raced, at the finish line.
Reagan was quick to take my medal and still thinks I won! (not going to take that away from a 4 year old) The girls were tired after getting up early, but I am so glad Pat got them there to see the race. Reagan told me that when she gets older she is going to do triathlons - how cool would that be.
So no more training this summer - just running when I want, where I want and for as long as I want. The training schedule was great - I was 8 minutes faster this year - but its nice to be on my own and not have to follow any schedule for the summer (except the pool schedule).

No comments: