Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A very medical summer...

Being pregnant I knew I would be spending a lot of time at the doctor this summer, what I didn't know is how much time our family would be spending at the doctor!
In addition to seeing my OB on a very regular basis, I also had to see my eye doctor to keep a check on my eye pressure for glaucoma. Praise God - my pressure has been 17 and under and I have not had to be on my drops throughout my pregnancy!
I made the goal of having all of Reagan's appointments for kindergarten done before the end of June. Thought that would be one visit to the dentist and one to the eye doctor. It was only one visit to the eye doctor, but 3 to the dentist. She had 4 cavities in her molars so we had to go back to get them filled and she even had a 'baby root canal'.
We got through that and thought we were good to go! Boy was I wrong...
At the end of July we had back-to-back graduation parties on my dad's side of the family (that's what happens when you are 1 of 16 grandchildren). At the first party Nola got her fingers slammed in the door. Thought we might be heading to the ER, but she calmed down (thanks to the Noreen and the dog) and she was ok.
The next day we went to Blaire's party and the girls were having a great time in the jumper and playing with cousins. That evening Reagan got a large piece of wood stuck in the ball of her foot from the deck. (remember the jumper...she was not wearing shoes) Jacqui got out her first aid kit and we thought the slivers were all out.
The next day she said it still hurt but I sent her to zoo camp anyway - thinking it was just her drama. That night Pat soaked her foot in salt water and a little piece of wood came out. Thought that was it...wrong again.
On Thursday when Johanna (our neighbor who is a nurse) stopped by she looked at it and thought I should have a doctor look at it. Off to the pediatrician we went. She couldn't see anything so got us set up to see a podiatrist/orthopaedic the next day.
Oh, and keep in mind, I kept sending her to zoo camp the whole week - the poor thing was walking on her heel.
That night Nola was up in the night coughing and having trouble breathing - sounded like croup. Luckily my mom was here for a sleepover so she took one for the team and slept with Nola.
Friday morning I was off to my doctor's appointment. While I was waiting I had to call our pediatrician again to get Nola in. She ended up with a 3:30 appointment - same time I had to have Reagan at her doctor. So thankful my mom and dad were able to take Nola and I took Reagan. Nola did have croup and was put on steroids.
From Reagan's appointment we went to the hospital to have an ultrasound of her foot - sure enough, there was a 2 cm piece of wood still in her foot!
Monday morning came and the surgeon called to tell us Reagan would have surgery at 2:00 to have it out...yes, a sliver can lead to surgery!!
Reagan was a trooper through it all - she was very excited that they put a hot pink cast on her foot after surgery to keep her foot safe. She had a rough time coming out of the anaesthesia but once she fell back asleep she was much better.
5 days later the cast came off and now she is in a walking boot. Still can't swim, but it has to be cooler than the cast.
Nola got a little better but was still coughing - back to the pediatrician. The cough had turned into bronchitis - luckily the z-pack worked and she is 100%.
Now we just need a healthy baby and we'll be all set...

No comments: