Friday, September 4, 2009

Nikki

This summer was fun but it was also a very sad time for our family. My dear cousin, Nikki, passed away on August 4, 2009 after a 19 year battle with brain cancer. I really didn't know how to write about this time and what I should say but I can't blog about our lives and not include her passing. Growing up we spent Sunday afternoons at my grandma & grandpa DeVries' house with Nikki's family so we really did grow up together. We went to Chetek, WI for family vacations when we were younger - we even went to the eye doctor together (Dr Z). She was my cousin and in many ways like a little sister to me. Even though we were only 18 months apart, Nikki was always 'younger' and her and I had a special relationship. I still remember going to her house to ask her to be in our wedding - she was so excited and I was so happy she said yes!
Since I graduated from college I started going with Nikki and our parents to the Ride for Kids (motorcycle ride to benefit pediatric brain tumors). First one I went to was in Elgin, then we went for a few years to Northbrook, then to Barrington and the last two years we went to South Bend. The best part of going to South Bend was that we spent the night there and would go swiming and then out to dinner the night before and then go to the ride in the morning. And before we could head home we had to have lunch - Nikki's orders :)
I am so thankful for all the time I got to spend with Nikki. Sure, I wish I could have had more time with her but I thank God that Pat, Reagan & Nola all got to know Nikki and love her as I did.
Nikki had a faith that truly exemplified 'childlike faith'. Nikki should be a role model to each of us as we journey through our life - that no matter what God gives us to endure, we must trust in Him and know that he is God.
There was an underlying peace surrounding our family the last several weeks, days and hours of Nikki's life. Its not something I can put into words, but I know without a doubt that this peace comes from God and trusting that He is in control and the way to eternal life. Nikki would be so happy to know that even just one person turned their life over to God after knowing her or even just hearing her story - she knew where she was going when God called her home. I hope we all can say we know where we are going when He call us.

No comments: